Nancy Hilliard Joyce was born in Greenville, South Carolina and was accepted into the Governor’s School for the Arts in Visual Art at the age of 16. For 5 years she served on the Board of Trustees at the Asheville Art Museum and was an active member of the River Arts District Association in Asheville, NC. Today, Nancy works primarily from her home studio in Concord, NC. She is passionate about giving back to children in need and regularly uses her art as a platform to raise money for charity and non-profit organizations.
Nancy’s paintings are intricate in form and filled with layers of color, perspective, gestures and expression. Her mixed-media art is often created with layers of modeling paste, a range of synthetic polymer paints, various hand-made papers and finished with touches of oil paint. She will sometimes sand or wipe down layers to reveal under-layers and build up other sections creating texture and depth; a process that may go on for weeks or end in one day. Nancy’s work is appreciated and widely collected throughout the United States in many homes, corporate offices and hotels; she is known as a contemporary, mixed-media artist with an Americana flair.
Large scale projects include:
- A permanent installation of her 75″ x 148″ triptych painting in Greenville, South Carolina’s newest mixed-use hub building called, ONE. This piece can be seen in the main lobby hanging beneath modern, crimson pendant lamp forms.
- During the Summer of 2013, Nancy curated an installation for a group of select artists in Western North Carolina. She has several large-scale pieces on the walls of EDISON’S, which is located inside the historic OMNI Grove Park Inn.
- In January of 2014, Nancy partnered with Girls on the Run of Western North Carolina to create a body of work titled, “Thirteen”. This exhibition showcased 13 historical and influential women which included large-scale paintings of Annie Oakley, Sacagawea, Amelia Earhart and Joan of Arc, just to name a few.
- During the Summer of 2014, Nancy created a one-of-a-kind painting for Green Man Brewery which was used for the label of a seasonal, wet-hopped IPA beer.
- In 2015, Nancy partnered with Organic Records and Mountain Home Music Company as a conceptualizer and artist who paints large-scale works that are then spun into CD covers and released on National levels.
- In Fall of 2015, Nancy raised funds from her art show, “Bicyclette”, to travel to remote regions of Cambodia and deliver over 250 all-terrain bicycles to young, underprivileged girls. These bicycles were distributed at a ceremony where Nancy spoke through a translator about the importance of education and self-esteem in young girls.
- Most recently, Nancy was hired as the Art Consultant for Greenville, SC’s Downtown @RiverPlace Embassy Suites set to open in the Autumn of 2016.
Nancy works closely with her collectors. She provides the following collection management services:
- Mixed-Media Fine Artist
- Commission Work
- Art Curatorial Services
- Corporate Art Consulting
- Art Collection Placement
- Live Event Painting